Monday, May 30, 2011

Mikes Hot Mashed Potato Salad

I am 61 years old. This is a dish my mother made fairly regularly. In fact I used to beg her to make it, I loved it so much. The ironic thing is that back then, I hated mustard. I couldn't get enough of this and it was full of mustard.


You will likely need to adjust these ingredients to your taste as well as using larger portions based on the amount of potatoes you will be making. The following will feed about 8-10 medium servings.

Boil 2-3 eggs. Be sure to add a goodly amount of Vinegar (I prefer Apple Cider Vinegar) to the water. makes peeling eggs somewhat easier. Although I have found there is at least one stubborn egg in each batch which refuses to be peeled. Set these aside to cool thoroughly.

@7 Medium Idaho Potatoes cut into pieces. Boil like you normally would, then Mash.

So 
@ Yield is 1/2 gallon mashed potatoes
Add:
-1/2 cup milk
-6 shakes of salt
-2 shakes of pepper
-1 shake garlic powder
-2 shakes of Old Bay seasoning (original)
@ 3/4 cup yellow mustard or add until the taste meets your approval. The mix should be yellow, so you will be adding quite a bit of mustard.

Then add diced egg, green pepper and diced onion until well mixed
@ 3/4 cup diced onion
@ 3/4 cup diced boiled egg
@ 1/2 cup Green Pepper

Reheat if needed. Serve hot.

My mother's did not include green pepper but I like the added flavor.  When I think ahead, I like to use red onion for more color.

Enjoy


4 comments: