Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mikes 15 Bean and Chicken Soup



I like soups and stews. of course there are a lot of similarities in my recipes. I have a sensitive stomach, so u wont encounter a lot of spicy content and my seasoning is almost identical in everything I cook. Don't be regimented by what I add, experiment and use your favorite ingredients. The will be no test for any of the recipes.

Here goes...

I always use whatever meat I cook with to slowly cook first to create the broth. Of course adding water as u go will prevent the meat from drying out and cooking slowly will prevent sticking to the pan and burning.

Ingredients: This will feed a family or single or couples for a few days.

Beans
You can soak overnight but I don't normally
1 cup dry 15 bean soup mix.
1/2 cup dry navy beans.

Chicken
-2 breasts
-2 Thighs
-2 Legs


Vegetables
1/4 cup of diced green pepper
1/4 cup of mixed diced (orange, yellow and red peppers)
I keep these frozen for easy adding to soups and stews. I like the added color. To keep color more vibrant, add shortly before finished.

Forgive me, but I have always been a Samari chef, so usually I don't actually measure spices.

Spicing
@10 shakes of salt
2 shakes of pepper
2 shakes of Mrs Grass original
1 shake of sage
@ 3 shakes of basil
2 spashes of Teryiaki sauce

Extra
1/2 half box of any type stuffing mix. I place in decent size bowl, mix well and use half for the soup and save half for next time I make chicken soup. It gives the soup that extra holiday flavor and reminds me of Thanksgiving. I add this when beans are almost finished cooking.

Add ur favorites too.

I use either a #10 cast Iron Pan or 5 Quart. Add beans and spices, then add chicken, bring full pot to a boil, watching closely. Turn down to maybe 3 or 4 on electric stove or low to medium low on gas grill. Keep an eye on your temperature and adjust accordingly to prevent boiling. this may over flow and reduce broth substantially. Let simmer/slow cook for about 45 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Remove the chicken and place it in air tight container, in fridge to cool before tearing. 

Remember to keep adding water so pan is near full. After chicken is cool, tear it up and store in container until beans are tender. Add peppers maybe 10 minutes before adding chicken. Lastly add the chicken back in long enough to heat up. Taste test for spicing to your specs and add any needed before serving.


3 comments:

  1. This is ranked Number One on my list of "Favorite Grey Foods."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momma always said you can't have a 15 bean soup without the chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My great grandfather was a samari chef over in China. I can relate Mike.

    ReplyDelete